The safety of Cryotherapy
There is lots of confusing information about the safety of cryo. We often get asked: "Is Cryotherapy Safe?" This story will explain the details about the safety of whole body cryotherapy.
So.... Is it Safe?
YES!! Cryotherapy has been around for many many years as a safe and effective therapy. The nitrogen used to cool the cryosauna is the same nitrogen that makes up the air we breathe. However, the gas IS cold - there is no denying that! Therefore there are a few considerations that need to be made to make sure that everyone is safe.
At Koa Recovery we will provide you with all the protective gear you require. This includes gloves, slippers and socks to ensure the more temperature sensitive tissues such as hands and feet are well protected. There are also a few things we ask to ensure you remain safe at all times.
- Remove any metal or jewellery before entering the chamber. Earnings and anything above the neck is ok however anything below the neck needs to be removed or taped over.
- Ensure your skin is dry from moisturisers, oils or sweat. This is especially important coming into the warmer months. However, we do have a shower for you to remove any oils before entering if required.
How we go the Extra Mile to Ensure Safety
Koa Recovery uses the leading manufacturer of cryosaunas in the USA - Impact Cryotherapy. At Koa Recovery, we have the octagon advantage! Our chamber offers consistent cooling over the body via smart pressure technology and an advanced spray nozzle system making it safer for you. The chamber also features purpose-built integrated software and monitoring systems to ensure your utmost safety at all times.
You will also have one of our staff with you at ALL times. Each staff member has a high level of training and education in the use of the system to keep you safe! If you ever feel uncomfortable you can ask our staff to pause the machine or stop. And you're free to exit at any point - although we are pretty confident you won't want to 😉
Is There Anyone Who Shouldn't Cryo?
There are a few medical conditions which make it unsafe to use the cryo. If you have any of these conditions we do not recommend using cryotherapy.
- Untreated hypertension
- Recent heart surgery or heart attack in last 6 months
- Congestive heart failure
- Unstable angina
- Decompensating diseases (e.g. oedema) of the cardiovascular and respiratory system
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- Raynaud’s disease
- Peripheral arterial occlusive disease
- Severe anaemia
- Flu like respiratory conditions
- Cold allergic phenomenon
- Ulcers or open wounds
- Infections of the skin
If you have any concerns about the safety or a particular medical condition please seek advice and clearance from your GP.
Sydney Cryo Benefits
Cyro for Sports Recovery
Increase the body's ability to train, recover and perform at its optimal level.
- Reduce recovery time by 50%
- Reduce delayed onset muscle soreness
- Reduce swelling
- Increase athletic performance
Cryo for Chronic Pain and Arthritis
Initially invented by a Rheumatologist to manage symptoms of arthritis
- Decrease inflammation and inflammatory markers
- Optimise chronic and acute pain management
- Improve range of motion and joint stiffness
- Decrease symptoms of depression, anxiety and fatigue
Cryo for Beauty & Anti-Ageing
Help transform your skin to be fresher,
younger, brighter and healthier
- Reduce cellulite
- Smooth & tighten skin
- Enhance collagen production
- Decrease symptoms of eczema & dermatitis