Self Care is Essential for Business Owners
In the rat race of life we are constantly connected. We are always 'ON'. When was the last time you switched off your mobile when you got home? Turned off your email after you finished work? Had a weekend off and didn't do any work? Keeping up with the pressures of running a business is hard and leaves us constantly connected to the world of work. How do you look after your most important asset.....YOU?
How Important is your self care?
The pressure to perform has never been greater and its no surprise that incidence of mental health conditions including anxiety and depression affect 1 in 5 Australians each year according to the Black Dog Institute. Psychological injuries account for the second highest group of IP claims paid in Australia (BT Insurance 2014). This highlights the importance of good self care. A recent study looking at the economic return on self care programs uncovered the following:
- decrease sick leave absenteeism by 25.3%
- decrease workers compensation costs by 40.7%
- decrease disability management costs by 24.2%;
- save $5.81 for every $1 invested in employee health and wellbeing
Do You Get Sh*t Done?
There are people in this world who are content, grateful and happy. Then there are people who are grateful, happy but not content - they always want more. They get sh*t done! The types of people who do 100 things at once - respond to emails whist sitting on the toilet and refereeing kids simultaneously. The type that are constantly juggling keeping active, socialising, maintaining relationships and building their empire. These people are often business owners and if this is you I promise you - you will get more done and be able to maintain productivity by doing a little self care. Forbes said so! (along with a lot of other recent research). You may be familiar with Kusama - the worlds most expensive artist woman. In her early years her work was not profitable and she spent a lot of time hospitalized from overworking and exhaustion. This resulted in an admission to Seiwa Hospital for the Mentally Ill. So why do we constantly put our own self care on the back burner?
Humans are not machines and we need to have enough self worth to do some maintenance and look after our most valuable asset.
How Do I Look After Myself?
Seems like a rhetorical question. We all know we need to look after ourselves but why don't we do it? Well, here is how we should!
- Have a Life Plan – You have a business plan but do you have a life plan? With 2018 only days away have you set yourself some goals? Booked in special family and personal events? Have you book some holidays into your calendar. If not - do it now, right now! Even before you read on! We Work To LIVE
- Eat Clean: Would you put petrol into your diesel car? Do I need to say anymore... fill nutrient rich, clean foods.
- Book Time for You – Time is the biggest excuse I hear for not exercising or maintaining self care is running out of time. It is an appointment with you to enhance the success of your business. Block some time out in the diary! Please dont have the attitude ill do it if I get time because we all know that you wont. Your work will never get 'done' so book the time out now.
- Exercise: Physical exercise is good for you in so many ways. We all know that but still don't do enough. If your struggling to know what to do or where to start personal training is a great option and helps you remain accountable. Contact us here to find out more info
- Do What You Love – Whatever your hobby is (reading, running, painting or surfing) do it and do it regularly - it will do you the world of good.
- Meditate: or do deep breathing for even five minutes. If your not good at it or need help join a yoga class, or book a float. These will help to facilitate your meditative practice giving a plethora of benefits to both you personally and your business.
- Listen to Your Body: Take a break when your need it. It might be a late start, a day off or holiday. Do what your body needs before you burn out.
- Visit a Wellness Centre: There are some beautiful wellness spaces around the world filled with all things self care. Most centres will be filled with evidences based equipment (such as cryotherapy, massage, compression therapy, float therapy, salt rooms and saunas) to help the time poor business owners with a one stop shop making self care easy.